Friday, March 14, 2014

No sleepy sleepy anywhere!

Okay so this has nothing to do with fertility, just decided I might occasionally post something else from time to time since there may not be much to post in that area for a while. :).

Matthew--he never sleeps. Never. Nope, not ever.  Well, okay sometimes, but not often--or so it seems.  Since he was born we have been getting up with him at night (meaning pretty much I have).  He goes to bed really well, although he is starting to get a hang of the fine art of stalling.  He has the rountine and goes to bed about 8:30 by the time he is sleeping.  Then he is up at 1 or 2 then again about 4 and up for the day at 6:30 or 7:30 depending on how lucky I am. 

Now when he wakes he just sits in his room saying "mommy, mommy, mommy" until I answer him.  If I go in and tuck him back in, leave, and he goes to sleep I count that as a lucky night!  Or on a rare occasion that he wakes only once!  (You people with kids who have slept through the night since they were babies consider yourself highly blessed!)  If I do not go in, he will come and jump in our bed. Arg!  Love to cuddle with the kid, but he is the wiggliest sleeper there ever was. I end up only getting about 8 inches max to "sleep" on.  Super restful, I assure you.  Ha ha.  I usually end up taking him back in his bed when this happens and "sleeping" with him until he falls alseep.  Last night that happened at about 2 am...I took him back to bed, layed with him; he was breathing as he was sleeping so I got up and went to bed, five minutes later "mommy, mommy, mommy." For the love!  Did the rountine again, went back to bed, same senario.  I tell Michael "seriously, this kid is going to be the death of me!" After the third time he actually went to sleep. Can I get a loud THANK HEAVENS!! Yes, a very tired mama today.

We have tried it all at one time or another, ignoring him, white noise, simply yelling to the other room "its not morning yet, go back to bed!", getting him up to try to potty, a sip of milk, you name it. We've even asked the doctor for advice.  We've read books galore. We thought it was due to having upstairs neighbors, but they moved out two months ago and it hasn't changed.  The funny thing is I had a preschool child who did this same thing that I taught years ago. I was like what? Thats crazy. I had absolutely no advice to give them either. Somehow the parents must be contributing to that (although their other children slept through the night).  Never imagined it would be here under my own roof. Alas, it is.

However, I know that this one tired mama will miss it one of these days.  She will miss that little boy who would climb into her bed, miss that sweet boy yelling Mommy, mommy, mommy.  Why?  One day he will grow up and grow out of this, and one day he won't need his mama quite as much, and I'm sure, as mothers with older children can atest, I will miss it and almost wish for it back...almost.  So seize the day! Enjoy life, and my little sleeping angel.  Good night sweetheart....

As proof to his credit, once every three or four months, he does nap.. ha ha.

2 comments:

  1. I wish I had his endless amount of energy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not envy you! I am glad my children sleep! Wish I had some pocket of knowledge to make Mr. Sandman more welcome in your house but at his age all I can say is good luck!!

    ReplyDelete